If you want to keep an eye on your health and nutrition then you definitely need to pay attention to the oil you use for cooking.
It is widely known that refined oils such as those from sunflower are extremely unhealthy because they contain toxic substances.
So, if you want to keep an eye on your health of course that you need to choose one of the alternatives.
The thing that you need to pay attention to is that oil is rich in calories – just a tablespoon of oil contains on average 120 calories.
The two most important things that you need to pay attention to when you choose oil is the point smoke and the ratio of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids.
We consider the point of smoke in oil as important because at high temperatures the oils with lower counts of smoke release free radicals and destroys nourishing properties of the oil.
In other words, that is the temperature on which the oil starts to smoke, collapses and becomes bad to use.
The higher the smoke point is, it is safer oil for frying. Due to this reason, the oil with a lower smoke point should be avoided.
When it comes to omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, the ratio 2:1 or even lower is preferred. The higher ratios are associated with chronic inflammation, cardiovascular disease and other diseases.
Do You Know Which The Healthiest Oil For Cooking Is?
- Coconut oil has high smoke point and is known for its numerous health benefits. There are two types of coconut oil. Extra virgin – which has characteristic smell and taste of coconut. The second, coconut oil – from which the smell and taste is removed and you can use it while you prepare dishes for which you don’t want to smell or flavor as coconut.
Coconut oil on lower temperatures is in solid form while at higher temperatures becomes in liquid form.
Extra virgin Olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil is the basis of the Mediterranean cuisine and is known for its health benefits including the prevention of the spread of cancer cells. Many consider it as unhealthy for frying due to its low point of smoke but some studies have shown that it is ideal for preparation of food.
- Almond oil is not only good for the skin but it can also be used for cooking. It contains high amounts of monounsaturated fats and improves the health of heart. You need to know that not all the types of almond oil are good for consumption. You need to find the one on which is indicated that is for use in culinary purposes.
Purified butter (oil, ghee)
- The fear from saturated fat made many people to be forced to avoid butter. However, studies have shown that the problem lies in margarine not in the butter. The real butter has a low smoke point so, its purified variation is recommended for use (butter or ghee). It is an excellent option for those who are allergic to lactose. You can make butter by yourself at home.
- Avocado oil has the highest smoke point of all the oils so it is ideal for roasting, frying and so on. Besides it can be consumed cold, in salads.
Grape seed oil
- Grape seed oil has high smoke point and is used in cooking and in the cosmetic industry. It has a good ratio of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which is higher from some optimal values. This oil cannot be not called to be beneficial to health. It is good source of polyphenols and phytosterols that can reduce the cholesterol levels.
Do You Know Which The Healthiest Oil For Cooking Is? – Original Article Via: