Papaya Seeds are usually thrown away but new research shows that these little seeds have great health benefits. Most people dispose of them, without being aware of their amazing benefits. These seeds have a strong flavor, which resembles the ones of mild peppercorns and mustard seeds.
The fruit itself has strong anti-inflammatory properties and numerous health benefits, such as Lowering Blood Sugar Level, Wound Healing, Improving Digestive Health, Reducing Heart Disease, and even Preventing Cancer.
HOW TO EAT Papaya Seeds!
– These seeds are highly versatile and can be consumed in many different ways. For instance, you can scoop a tablespoon of the seeds from the fruit and eat them along with the fruit.
– Another option is to pound them with a mortar and pestle and store them in a small jar in the fridge. Note that they shouldn’t be kept in the fridge more than a week.
– In case you want to keep them for longer, store them in the freezer.
– Ultimately, you can dry them out using a dehydrator or under the sun and grind them into powder when dried.
– Add a tablespoon of it in smoothies, soups, salads, etc.
Note: Since they are very strong in their antibacterial properties, begin with eating no more than a tablespoon daily. If you are able to process it, eat up to two tablespoons a day.
Recipe: Papaya Seeds Dressing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon English-style dry mustard
- 1 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 papaya, halved, reserving 3 tablespoons of the seeds and reserving the fruit for another use.
- In a blender or food processor blend the sugar, the salt, the mustard, and the vinegar until the mixture is smooth.
- With the motor running add the oil in a stream and blend the dressing until it is emulsified.
- Add the onion and the reserved papaya seeds and blend the dressing until the papaya seeds are the consistency of ground pepper.
- The dressing keeps, covered and chilled, for 2 weeks.
PAPAYA SEEDS – EXTRAORDINARY HEALTH BENEFITS:
1. IMPROVE DIGESTIVE HEALTH
This fruit is extremely effective in healing the digestive system. Its seeds act as potent anti-parasite and antibacterial agents, ably removing detrimental microorganisms from the intestinal tract.
Due to their powerful anti-pathogen properties, eating a tablespoon of seeds kill off bacteria and inhibit food poisoning.
2. PREVENT CANCER
Phenolic and flavonoids found in seeds act as strong antioxidants which retard tumor cell growth. Isothiocyanate, a phytonutrient, may prevent colon, prostate, lung, and breast cancer.
3. DETOXIFIES LIVER
They have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for a long time to improve the liver function by removing toxins.
Eating a tablespoon of seeds are found to be effective in detoxifying the liver and it has been reported to be helpful in cases of fatty liver, too.
4. DETOXIFIES KIDNEYS
Apart from being efficient in detoxifying the liver, papaya seeds help detoxify the kidneys as well. Their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties protect kidneys from toxins and inflammation.
5. REDUCES INFLAMMATION In INFLAMMATORY DISEASES
Just like the fruit itself, the papaya seeds also fight off inflammation in the body, such as joint pain, gout, asthma, and arthritis.
Papain and chymopapain, two important enzymes in papayas, are the ones responsible for reducing inflammation associated with the conditions above.
6. LOWERS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
It has been scientifically shown that caprine, a compound found in all parts of this fruit, lowers both systolic and diastolic pressure.
7. NATURAL CONTRACEPTIVE
They have been used as a natural contraceptive in India for centuries. This means that those who are planning on conceiving shouldn’t eat these seeds. In a certain study, that mice fed papaya seeds had notably low sperm production.