Insomnia can become a real nightmare as the clock ticks on into the night and you’re awake to notice.
Sleep is so important for good health that one landmark study linked getting 7/8 hours of regular sleep each night to a reduction in mortality from all causes.
When the body is chronically denied sleep, stress hormones, like cortisol, steadily rise. While a staggering 30% of Americans suffer from chronic insomnia, few realize that chronic insomnia can increase the risk of most degenerative diseases.
The problem is compounded when the lack of sleep causes more stress, which again raises cortisol levels, which further disturbs sleep patterns.
The Cup Of Goodness To Successfully Prevent Insomnia:
In anticipation of our upcoming list of natural sleep remedies, we’re sharing these helpful recipes that you can whip up before bedtime, that will help you relax, unwind, and drift off to dreamland.
1. Fresh Chamomile Lavender Tea
- 1 teaspoon of lavender buds
- 1 teaspoon of chamomile buds
- 8 ounces of hot water
- milk/honey to taste (optional)
- Bring 8 ounces of water to a boil. In a tea ball or loose-leaf tea strainer, place 1 teaspoon each of lavender and chamomile buds.
- Put the straining device in your cup and pour the boiling water over it.
- Allow the herbs to steep for 10-15 minutes the longer it steeps the stronger the flavor will be.
- Add milk and/or honey to taste.
- If you don’t have a tea ball or something similar, simply pour the hot water directly over the herbs in a bowl and then use a kitchen strainer to remove the buds.
2. Milk Nutmeg Sweet Dreams Drink
- 1 glass of milk
2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of honey
1/8 teaspoon to a 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Warm up about 8 ounces of milk in your favorite mug.
- Heat it until it’s a little hotter than you would comfortably drink, and stir in 1 tablespoon of honey (or as little as 2 teaspoons if you prefer.)
- Sprinkle with a ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg at the most, and let it cool to a temperature that is still nice and toasty warm but drinkable.
- Make this about 30 minutes before bed when you start winding down, sip slowly, and Sweet Dreams!
3. Bedtime Natural Drink
- 1 tea bag of chamomile or (bedtime tea)
- 16 oz of filtered water
- ¼-1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp natural sugar (sucanat, raw honey, etc..)
- 1 tbsp gelatin from a grass-fed source
- 2-3 tsp half and a half, heavy cream, raw milk
- Heat water in the kettle, add all ingredients to your cup except your cream and tea bag.
- Pour hot water into your cup and stir. Add cream and tea bag and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and drink. Sweet Dreams!
4. Raspberry Limeade
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries (about 6 ounces), fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3 cups seltzer
- Ice cubes
- Combine lime juice and sugar in a large pitcher, stirring to help dissolve the sugar.
- Place berries in a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl.
- Use a rubber spatula to press on the berries, extracting the juice and some pulp while leaving the seeds behind.press on the berries, extracting the juice and some pulp while leaving the seeds behind.
- Stir the puree into the pitcher.
- Just before serving, stir in seltzer.
- Serve over ice and you will Sleep like a baby!
NOTE: Stop Thinking so Much, and Get a Good Night’s Sleep!
Source: Everyday Roots)